Thursday, April 15, 2010

Backwards and Upside Down

Last month, when I heard that David Stark would be speaking at the next Apartment Therapy Offline Meetup, I didn’t know who he was, or what he did. So why did I know the name? After a couple of minutes, I realized that that was name on the on the truck with the backwards type I had photographed last summer.

Stark is an event designer and producer (I snapped this pic behind the Museum of Natural History, where he must have had a gig). At his talk Wednesday evening, I found out that event design and production is nothing like party planning. Many of his projects take as long as a year to produce—think Whitney Biennial installation filling the Javits Center. Go to his website to see the range of his creativity.

But back to his truck--here it is, along with a few other examples of typographic inversion.



This upside down Gap bag is part of a promo stunt they did in Vancouver where they turned they entire store upside down.
I took this in Florence, where type is backwards or forwards depending on which direction you happen to be facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails